Republished from NoFrakkingConsensus.com
Which remarks were uttered by the heir to the British throne â€“ and which were delivered by Venezuelaâ€™s late president?
Following the death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez earlier this week, RespondingtoClimateChange.org posted a video recording â€“ as well as a transcript â€“ of Chavezâ€™s 15-minute â€œtiradeâ€ at the Copenhagen climate summit in December 2009.
In July 2009, Prince Charles presented the annual Richard Dimbleby lecture.
Two well-known men. Two speeches delivered within six months of each other. Below are pairs of statements â€“ one uttered by Chavez, the other by Prince Charles. Can you guess who said which?
- â€œCurrent human activity exceeds the threshold of sustainability, endangering life on the planetâ€
- â€œthe sustainability of the entire harmonious system is collapsingâ€
- â€œreduce global material consumptionâ€¦Consume lessâ€
- â€œour consumerist society comes at an enormous cost to the Earth and we must face up to the fact that the Earth cannot afford to support itâ€
- â€œwherever you care to look our industrial economic model is operating on the same damaging, diminishing returnâ€
- â€œCapitalism is a destructive development modelâ€
- â€œWhy do we tip the balance of the Earthâ€™s delicate systems with yet more destructionâ€
- â€œthe world continues its destructive marchâ€
- â€œWe cannot continue like thisâ€¦Letâ€™s change courseâ€
- â€œcarrying on as we are will lead to a depleted and divided planetâ€
- â€œletâ€™s not wait idly by for the death of humanityâ€
- â€œif we fail the Earth, we fail Humanity.â€
- â€œletâ€™s stop environmental degradation and avoid the great catastrophe of climate changeâ€
- â€œDefeat in this instance, Ladies and Gentlemen, would be catastrophic.â€
To see Chavezâ€™s remarks colour-coded in red click here.
Despite the fact that recent decades have been An Amazing Global Success Story in terms of improved human health and wealth, both of these men believe the prevailing economic system should be swept away.
Prince Charles insists that our current economic model has â€œenormous shortcomingsâ€ â€“ without acknowledging that every economic model has shortcomings. Surely the critical issue is: Which model has a demonstrated track record of improving the lives of millions of people â€“ and which models have a track record of murder and misery?
It is Chavez who declares outright that: â€œCapitalism is the road to hell, to the destruction of the world.â€ But at the end of the day, thereâ€™s little meaningful difference between his views and Prince Charlesâ€™ repeated denunciations of â€œour rush to pursue unlimited economic growth and material wealth.â€
None of this is meant to suggest that, if Prince Charles were in charge, heâ€™d be anything like the tyrant Chavez was. But itâ€™s worth reflecting on the fact that, based on the contents of these two speeches, these men share a virtually identical worldview.
Prince Charlesâ€™ speech is backed up here
Chavezâ€™s remarks are backed up here